I found this cute mirror at Goodwill for 7$. It was missing some ornate frame pieces, I repaired with bake molding clay, I made a mold from existing designs, baked it then used as a mold for new pieces. I did hand mold some to make it more accurate. Popped it in the oven, then glued on with Gorilla glue.
Easy repair with bake clay and Gorilla glue
I wanted to give the mirror and aged look. When I took the paper backing off I noticed the mirror was from 1964. I got a little nervous, I didn't want to ruin this vintage piece, since it was my first attempt at aging a mirror.
I brushed on orange paint stripper then layered a thin piece of painters plastic and left it for a few hours to breakdown the grey painted layer. I carefully scraped off the grey paint with a plastic scraper (most of the paint came off with the plastic ). I then wiped down the back of the mirror with a clean cloth.
I then grabbed a spray bottle of bleach cleaner and lightly sprayed around the edges to give it a natural aged look.
I spray painted the frame with gold spray paint, then wiped down the gold frame with brown acrylic paint to give an aged look.
I think it turned out great, I layered it over my white fireplace mantle.
Thanks for visiting my site.